Roof Tiles of St. Mark's Church
Located in the old part of Zagreb on St. Mark's Square, the Church of St. Mark form the 13th century is one of Zagreb’s most emblematic buildings. It is the most famous for its southern roof and its colorful roof tiles, apparently done in 1880. On the roof, tiles are laid so that they represent the coat of arms of Zagreb on the right (a white castle on a red background) and the coat of arms of the Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia on the left.
The coat of arms of the Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia was adopted in 1848 (and banned in 1852 by the Austrian government) as an amalgam of the coats of arms of the Kingdom of Croatia (the red and white checkerboard in the upper left corner), the Kingdom of Dalmatia (the three crowned lion heads on a blue background representing the Dalmatian coast) and the Kingdom of Slavonia (the lower half with a running marten on a red background). There are also two white and blue stripes representing the Sava and Drava Rivers.
The south side of the church also contains the Gothic portal, composed of 15 figures in 11 shallow niches. The church interior contains sculptures by Ivan Meštrović.
You can enter the anteroom only during opening hours, but the church itself is open only at Mass times.
From late April to October there's a guard-changing ceremony Changing of the Guard - Guard of Honour of the Cravat Regiment outside the church every Saturday and Sunday at noon.