Art & culture

Croatian National Theatre

The exhibition “The CNT building 120 years later”

On October 14, 2015, on the 120th anniversary of the opening of the Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb there will be an opening of an exhibition at 2 pm. in the CNT Foyer. It will display the documentary materials of that time; photographs, documents, films and digital posters that will evoke the history of the Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb, from its earliest period until the construction of the new building in 1895. A part of the material will be dedicated to the first theatrical halls in Zagreb (today’s City Museum, Museum of Natural History and the City Assembly) with descriptions of the period in which these venues were used as theatre halls. A part of the exhibition will document the period from June 10, 1840 when the Domorodno teatralno društvo (Patriotic theatrical society) with its ceremonious performance of the first theatre play in the Stokavian dialect Junačke igre u tri čina Jurana i Sofije by Ivan Kukuljevic Sakcinski official commenced its appearances in Zagreb, Sisak and Karlovac. Their first appearance was at the Old Theatre on St. Mark’s Square and lasted 18 months during which they gave fifty different original and translated works, in total 200 performances.

The diverse documentary materials and original items will offer and encounter with the most significant individuals, performances and events of that time. Special attention is given to the construction of today’s building of the CNT in Zagreb: from the very idea to its opening on October 14, 1895, when with a symbolic strike with a silver hammer on the stone of a balcony pole the Austro-Hungarian emperor Franz Joseph declared the theatre opened.

Two documentary films Die Fellner und Helmer – Story and Die vergessenen des eoropäischen Theaterbaus (30 minutes) will be shown at the exhibition and a documentary movie about the CNT building itself (10 minutes). The visitors will be able to see the original materials relating to the building and its opening: blueprints, documents relating to building permits posters, invitations, the silver hammer created by sculptor Robert Franges Mihanovic with which emperor Franz Joseph symbolically ended the construction of the CNT building, photographs …and many other original artefacts from the time. Author of the exhibition: Dinko Čutura. PhD Exhibition display: Mario Beusan architect. Sponsor of the exhibition: Zagreb Tourist Board.